June is Acne Awareness Month
If you suffer from acne, you are not alone! In fact, acne is such a widespread skin disorder, that the entire month of June has been recognized as Acne Awareness Month! Keep reading to learn more about what exactly acne is and how we can help you achieve beautiful, clear skin.
What is acne?
Acne is a skin disorder that affects the skin’s oil glands and hair follicles. When our oil glands secrete sebum, our pores become plugged, forming different types of acne.
Acne forms on different parts of the body including, the face, neck, back, chest, and shoulders. Although it is not considered a serious health threat, acne can cause scarring and low self-esteem.
What are the different types of acne?
- Blackheads (open comedones): These occur when the top of a pore stays open, but the rest of the pore is clogged with sebum and dead skin cells. This causes a black color on the surface of the skin.
- Whiteheads (closed comedones): Whiteheads form when a pore gets clogged from the top up, creating a small bump from the skin.
- Papules: These occur when the walls around your pores break down, causing severe inflammation. This results in hard, clogged pores that are tender to touch.
- Pustules: Pustules form when the walls around your pores break down and they are filled with pus. They often have yellow or whiteheads on the top. Nodules:
- Cysts: These develop when pores are clogged by a combination of bacteria, sebum, and dead skin cells. Red or white bumps that are painful to touch form on the skin. Cysts are the largest form of acne and usually result from severe infection. They are also the type of acne that most likely scar.
At Essential Aesthetics, we offer a variety of different acne treatments:
- Our Intense Pulse Light (IPL) treatment is gentle and addresses both the p.acne bacteria while correcting pigmentation and redness. The IPL technology uses light flashes over the treated area to trigger a biochemical response that eliminates the bacteria within pores. It is a non-invasive solution for inflammatory acne with little to no downtime.
- Chemical peels use ingredients such as alpha-hydroxy acids to gently slough away the outermost layers of skin and improve the deeper layers without damaging the skin’s surface (as physical exfoliants often do).
- Micro-botox is another option to help treat acne. When injected, micro-botox causes your sweat and sebaceous glands to shrink, visibility reducing pore size.
- Our exclusive EA Skin Care line also includes a variety of products that can be used to treat acne. Our Essential Glycolic Moisturizing Cleanser uses 10% Glycolic Acid to gently exfoliate, brighten, and smooth the skin, revealing a healthy, radiant complexion. It also includes a rich blend of antioxidants to minimize free radical-induced skin damage. Our Essential Antioxidant Cream is made of three powerful antioxidants combined with a moisturizing formula to calm and soothe skin.
- Topical retinoids are also a great short-term solution and long-term treatment for clearing up acne. Retinoids are a form of Vitamin A and work to stimulate cell turnover, meaning that dead skin cells are cleared of the skin more quickly and new cells can rise to the surface. This also helps to open your pores and release trapped bacteria or irritants. Retinoids also help to regulate your skin’s natural oil production to prevent future breakouts.
- If you suffer from acne scarring, ResurFX is a lunch-time treatment with little-to-no downtime. This laser technology stimulates your tissues to stimulate collagen production. This causes the outer layers of damaged skin to be replaced faster.