What Causes a Double Chin
When patients come to the clinic with complaints of their “double chin”, PA Ellie Zarnegar starts by asking what is the cause of it. Is it genetics? Have they recently gained weight? There are so many different reasons for a double chin to form, so there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
At the time of your appointment, PA Ellie will help you to determine whether your bone structure, muscles, fat, or skin elasticity (or a combination of these) are to blame.
What Causes a Double Chin?
An Undefined Jawline
Your bones are the deepest layer of support in your neck and chin area. Often times when people complain about their double chin, they are actually talking about their undefined jawline. If your chin bone is not strong enough, it accentuates your double chin.
How to treat an undefined jawline:
- Dermal fillers such as JUVEDERM VOLUMA can be added to the chin and jawline to add definition and contour.
A Tense Neck Muscle
The muscle that starts at your clavicle and runs up your neck to your lower jaw is known as the platysma muscle. If you grind your teeth often, you may find tension in this muscle.
How to treat a tense neck muscle:
- Botox injections in the platysma muscle can help relax it and provide more definition to your jaw.
This is the most common reason for the double chin. Luckily, we offer several treatments to help!
How to treat excess fat:
- Kybella is an injectable made of deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring substance found in the body. It helps break down and dissolve fat cells, leading to long-lasting results.
- CoolSculpting selectively freezes fat cells using Cryolipolysis. The treated cells become frozen and undergo a natural cell death called apoptosis.
- Radiofrequency (RF) treatment is a minimally invasive energy-based treatment that heats targeted layers to tighten soft tissue. The heat kills fat that your body naturally eliminates overtime.
Loss of Skin Elasticity
Over time, our skin loses its ability to recover after being stretch, causing it to start sagging below the jaw and creating the look of a double chin.
Treatment for loss of skin elasticity:
- RF treatments use controlled heating of the deep dermis to stimulate collagen and elastin fibers to tighten up the skin.
- A daily skin care regimen that includes sunscreen, hyaluronic acid, and a retinol cream will help to keep your skin as smooth and taught as possible. Essential Aesthetics carries an exclusive skincare line with several products to cater to your skin tightening needs.
Say Goodbye to Your Double Chin
You don’t have to live with a double chin any longer. Schedule a consultation with PA Ellie Zarnegar to learn more about any of our treatments. PA Ellie and her skilled team are happy to help answer all of your questions or concerns.Contact us today!